The Church of St Mary the Virgin, Docking

The Church

 

The church, nearly in the middle of the village, is a Grade II listed building; the oldest visible parts of this great church are in the chancel, which was built shortly before the Black Death of 1349.

 

No doubt there was a church on this site long before that, and it is even linked with the name of Aelfric, Bishop of Elham in 1038. The 80 foot tower is extremely massive for a Norfolk village and was built at the time of the battle of Agincourt, 1415, and is one of the highest points of the county, with views from the top over the Wash and North Sea.

 

The organ was originally built by G M Holdich, who was an apprentice of Bishop and Son of London and Ipswich. He built a great many organs in all parts of the country, including the instrument that once stood in Lichfield Cathedral. He used to boast that his organs never ciphered. In point of fact the action was, from the first, so loose that they rattled instead. The organ is dated around 1858. It probably stood in a west gallery and had gilded front pipes. It remained there in that gallery until the new roof was put on and the church was restored in 1875. The Lady Chapel (as we now call it) was built as the organ chamber. Most of the above is drawn from a report by Bishop and Son in 1938 which was never carried out presumably because of the Second World War.

 

The organ had been extended by Lloyds of Nottingham in 1875 and was further modified by Norman and Beard in 1914. The organ was completely overhauled in 2007 at a cost of £20,000. Bishop James rededicated the organ in April 2008.

 

The North Aisle roof was re-slated, together with the renewal of its guttering and downpipes, at a cost of £35,000. The Church Fabric is in good order.

 

The Docking Exchange is a free news sheet, produced by a member of the congregation and with a circulation of 500. It is delivered monthly to every house in the village, together with a Church News from the Benefice.

 

Our enthusiastic fund raising events are not just to raise funds for the church, but also to encourage community spirit. We hold concerts, Gardens Open, Festivals, a Harvest Lunch, school activities, coffee mornings and many other events.

 

Read more about Docking>>

Contact Us

 

The Bishop of Lynn

The Old Vicarage

Castle Acre

King's Lynn

PE32 2AA

 

Telephone : 01760 755553

Docking Organ